I’ve always advocated ‘Less is More’ in business writing. One simple method for achieving that result is … abbreviating.
- Titles preceding proper names – Dr., Mr., Mrs.
- Titles following proper names – M.D., Ph.D., Sr.
- Commonly know government agencies and corporations – FDA, IBM, FDIC
- Common expressions – C.O.D., A.M., P.M.
- The word “number” when it designates something – Policy No. 479973, Room No. 3
- Names of states and provinces as part of addresses – OH, NY, CA
- Names of cities and states (except when an address)
- Months or days
- The words avenue, street and drive (except in addresses)
- Points of a compass (except for addresses)
Happy writing … and abbreviating!