My good friend and COSE (Cleveland’s Council of Smaller Enterprises) colleague Diane Helbig helps sales people perfect their pitches. She advises this structure:
- ‘Short and to the point
- Begin with a recap of the prospect’s goals and needs (as you heard them)
- Introduction of the product or service you are presenting
- Bulleted list of the benefits of that product or service to the prospect (based on the goals and needs you heard)
- Cost statement
- Implementation schedule, if appropriate
- Request for confirmation from the prospect – as how it sounds to them; does it meet their needs as stated.
Sales is all about the prospect – not about you or your product/service.’
‘Lemonade Stand Selling’, Diane Helbig, Sales Gravy Press, 2009.